Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Masters of the Barebow volume 3

Last weekend found me in Kalamazoo Michigan hanging out with the Daryl Quidort and Denny Sturgis Jr.  We had some fun taping MBB vol III, got to watch some whitetail hunting dvd's.

I had a great time going over some of the shooting and training techniques that I've discovered over the years and I had a great time discussing shooting with Daryl and Denny.

The visit culminated in a late night shooting session with the Michigan duo.  We were shooting at a bale with targets past any reasonable light.  It was dark and it was fun.  Daryl had the best groups through the night with Denny coming in second.  My groups finally tightened up after I opened both eyes.  After we called it quits I challenged both of them to a one arrow shoot off winner takes all, closest to the X.  Being stellar hosts, I think they let me win that one.  Thanks guys!  You made an old World Champion feel good :^).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Larry just wanted to let you know that after a buddy lent MOTBB 3 to me to watch I finally realized why my shooting was steadily declining in the past couple of years. I was trying to incorporate all the steps of the shooting process into each shot instead of breaking things down and working on the individual components at the blank bale.

I think it was Rod who said it that you can't focus on the target and think about your anchor and release it all has to be ingrained so when making the shot the only focus is on hitting the target. Many times at full draw I was so concerned about creeping or short drawing the bow I actually glanced at the tip of the arrow taking my concentration from the spot I was aiming at.

The other thing I learned was that my form was very bad because I wasn't using my back muscles when shooting the bow and my alignment was way off causing me to shoot high and to the right consistently no matter what I did.

Thanks for being involved with the series you all have helped me personally pinpoint the issues that I need help with and have given me the tools to deal with my shooting problems.

Thanks, Roger Mulrooney